March 12, 2009

Fitting in, yet again.

My first 2 weeks of work at the new job come to conclusion tomorrow. I'm feeling much better about this job change, as the staff are friendly and despite their longevity with the system, they still have fun and are open to change (me). The core crew of staff is only 6 deep and they all have 12+ yrs in the program or with SMDC health system. Being the newbie was a bit intimidating, but I'm always up for something new.

Its been almost 2 years since I facilitated groups, so I've been busy putting together a bunch of patient ed groups this past week. Really hoping I'd trigger some of my memory from those groups I once did or wanted to do. I'll be leading 8+ groups a week so I need a bit of an inventory. A little anxiety management, assertiveness, rational thinking, and self-esteem should be a good start. I'm not the hugest fan of facilitating groups, but they've got a more laid back philosophy and flexible nature that should give me some room to use my creativity and interest to its fullest. There's always room for growth and change.

Of course there are pitfalls to being the new man on board, and that happens to be my office~ or should I call it a closet. Unfortunately, the good views are earned by time put in. But hey… at least I have my own office, and don't have to share with anyone. I've had a good run of office mates and cubicle sharing over my SW career. Nothing pisses me more, than not being able to have a private conversation… Good bye to all those nosy colleagues listening and/or butting in, as if they were part of your conversation. I've got a door that can be shut.

Secondly there is the mental health left overs… In the health care system it is always a cat fight over space. Priority tends to fall in favor of the money makers (cardiology, oncology, clinics) leaving depts like mental health with the scraps. This means our intensive outpatient program is cleverly tucked away in a satellite building across the street from the other main buildings (all others happen to be conveniently connected by skywalk). Its loaned from the foundation, so of course they don't want to put any money into the aesthetics of the place. After all, we should just be grateful we have our own private space right. Sure there are positives with being segregated, but don't forget about us over here.

These severely depressed patients should be welcomed into a space that provides a sense of fresh ambition, healing, life and color. Not mis matched worn out, left over furniture, halls that flood when it thaws, treacherous intersection to cross at lunch and small group rooms. Funny thing is this was supposed to be a temporary arrangement (Gee flashbacks to MeritCare), but its going on 4 yrs now. Hopefully we'll be moving up to the top level this summer, which will provide a much better space and some views of Lake Superior. My fingers are crossed and if I'm lucky I may even get an office with a window :-)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

wow...I was having some flash backs reading this! OY!

Anonymous said...

SOUNDS LIKE YOUR DAYS WILL GO BY FAST & INTRESTING FOR SURE -
HAPPPY EASTER TO ALL OF YOU ENJOY YOUR FAMILY TIME
HUGS TO YOU ALL
AUNTIE

The triumphs and trials