March 14, 2009

St. Pattys Day 2009



Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!

To celebrate St. Patrick's day my Fargo home girls and I head out West to Jamestown, ND for the 31st Annual "Running O' the Green". It’s a pub crawl that begins around 2:00pm at the Frontier Fort Bar (up at the big Buffalo) and ends where ever and whenever you cross the finish line. (Thankfully the finish line is next to our hotel) That’s wondering from one end of town to the other making a stop for a drink at 9 different bars along the way. I was first introduced to this craziness back in 2001 when we lived in Jamestown, and have since brought along others to join in the fun, making this my 5th "run". Now don't be fooled… I'm not running this thing, and very few do. Although it is a test of your endurance…you must try to pace yourself if you want to be standing at the end of the day.

In recent years my totally cool auntie Denice has invited all us over to her house for Brunch with her gang… and few shooters to get the party started ;-) She has quiet the spread and much needed nourishment to start off the day. Not to mention my uncle Al who puts up with all us loud ladies in his house, and then drives us to the starting line. We have a blast at brunch… what a great way to start the festivities.

Everyone gets into the spirit and most people group together dressing in themes or matching outfits. This year our group took a spin back to 1984 and went as Flash dancers… "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!" Crimped hair, neon colors, oversized sweatshirt cut off the shoulder, leg warmers, bangle bracelets, fanny paks, jean skirts and fingerless gloves. As you can see we were one hot group of girls out to have some fun. No kids, No husbands, No Curfew!!

The race starts off with 1500 people heading down a Huge snowy hill… here is where you hope that those before you made good tracks otherwise you may end up taking the quick way down... on your ass. (We all made it on foot this year!) The jaunt to Bar #2 is the furthest distance, so we had to make a pit stop at the Tractor & Fleet Supply store for a bathroom break, but after that we were good to go and made it through 9 pit stops in only 4.5 hours… I think? You kind of lose track of time after a while. 10:00pm feels like 4:00am. Thanks to a great band we made it until 1:30am this year!! Whoo Hoo!






Of course we have many jokes, stories and do not tells from our St. Patty's Day runs, and this year was no different... Other than it meant even more me! Since moving away I've been missing them and just don't have the opportunity to get together with the girls as much as I'd like to (need to). Thanks for a great time ladies...

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Yay us! We do look pretty hot if I do say so myself! It was so awesome that you came back for it! Made it worth much more to me!

Anonymous said...

What a WONDERFUL group of GIRLFRIENDS you have....I emailed my grilfriend CHER and she agrees her words were "THEY SURE ARE SOME HOT (she used her famous word)" ah yes a good time had by all - it's always fun to add to our groups so anyone reading this would like to join just let us know! LOOKING FORWARD TO 2010 RUN........
HUGS
AUNTIE

Anonymous said...

Haha, Auntie!! I am glad you're still tight with CHER!! We did have a great time, thanks to everyone!

We miss you, Katie! <3 Jo

The triumphs and trials