September 18, 2008

1 kid is a breeze

This week was a glimpse of what its like to have only one child. Dylan and Riley spent the weekend with my mom and dad, having fun at the lake... While Brad and I kept Brady with us and ejoyed spending QUITE time with him. Having never expereienced what comes with just one child was kind of nice. Fortunately I was blessed to have twins first and a singleton second, so I didn't know any different. Those fellow MOMs that had it the other way around have every right to cry for the first 6 months. One baby is a breeze!
With just one the noise level is certainly different and werid... Car rides are strangely quite and awkward as I talk to the back seat but see no kids in my mirror. Of coarse Brady is around the corner just out of sight, and can hear what I'm rambling. But the sweet little faces smiling back at me are missing.
Dinner was on a whim all week, as we didn't have to stay on a tight schedule, or worry about nutritious offerrings. So lets see, Sunday night was pizza (delivery), Monday Chinese, Wednesday Brad did make a beef stew in the crock pot, accompanied with left overs, and tonight... we'll I'm not really sure what we had for supper? I had some crackers, licorce, and cheerios. And I thought I saw Brad with a bag of chips, and crown royal (Tuff day today). We did make Tuesday into a little date night and ate out at Fitgers. Brady slept the whole time so it was really like we were on a date all alone... Since the weather was nice we took a walk along the lake and stopped for a carmel sundae on the lakewalk. Brady was happy to be outside in the fresh air, and spending that special time with him. He got all our attention!
Around the house there is still certainly evidence that 3 kids live here, but at least for these past few days, when i put something away it stays there for longer than 10 minutes. With just one child its a little easier to stay caught up on laundry too.
In addition you'd think with only one kid to get ready and out the door, you'd never be late for work... we'll I've learned that's not always the case. Even when you subtract 2 kids from the equation, my lateness doesn't improve. It just gives me fewer people to blame it on.
Aside from the clean floors, pee free toilets, and tidy shoe closet...Its the empty beds, and the absent hugs and kisses that make me excited for my big boys to return. A break is always nice and needed... but i'm ready for them to come home. Life just isn't the same with 1 kid.

No comments:

The triumphs and trials