October 27, 2008

"When I grow up I'm gonna be a Doctor"

They said it themselves, without any provoking...WHY??? Dylan and Riley have come to the conclusion that if you are Doctor you don't have to get shots!

Today I had the joy of taking all 3 kids for their flu shots, by myself. Brad was stuck at work, and with a busy week ahead today was the only chance to take advantage of the Blitz...So I braved it alone.
As soon as I picked them up from school and broke the news to them, things went downhill. There was kicking (literally) and whining all the way there..."Why can't we just go home, and have supper Mommy?"... "No, No, No Mommy this isn't the way home" Upon arrival Dylan sat in his seat crying and refusing to get out of the van, until finally I was able to reason with him, that Mommy would go first and that if it hurt Mommy he didn't have to get his flu shot ;-) (Guess they are still pretty traumatized from their recent 4 yr old vaccinations- 4 shots each on that trip!)

So we get in, register and wait our turn... things are looking pretty good, as we wait I'm bribing their bravery with treats and special activities when we get home. We are called in, and they enter the cubicle cautiously. I go first...I put on a brave face, and didn't even flinch. But just the sight of the needle had them shaking. They both stood up against the wall opposite of me, with fear in their eyes... You'd like they'd seen a ghost. When she asked whose next they both nominate the other and step even further away. (Now mind you I have Brady sitting on my lap, so that gives me limited mobility, and no where to safely sit him, while I wrestled them down) There was no talking one of them into willing going first, so in their scurrying to get away I was able to snag Dylan by the arm, and pull him onto my lap (Brady on the other leg). He's kicking and screaming (seriously), and I'm not letting go. I'm trying my best to talk some reason into him at this point, and its not working. I'm now just moments from grabbing the damn needle and poking him myself to get this over with. But thankfully the gal caught on that I wasn't gonna let him out of it, so it was just gonna have to happen with his cooperation. So she stuck the kid at first chance. As soon as she poked him, he instantly stopped his fit, looked at her and didn't say a word...It was over, and so was the drama. With the safety of a Tasmanian Devil band-aid in place he reported "That didn't hurt that much." Arghhhh!!! All the while, Brady is chewing on the stickers initially used to bribe Dylan, and Riley is practically shaking and looks so anxious that he could throw up. Anyway- No time for the classic "I TOLD SO", so instead I use the teachable moment and had Dylan convince Riley that it really didn't hurt and that he was more scared than anything.
Riley tried to change the plan, requesting to go upstairs and "just get the water squirted in my nose." The preface to this is, earlier we had discussed the option of the Flu Mist, explaining that its kind of like getting water squirted in your nose. But I didn't want to run to another floor in the clinic for the mist nor chance their poor cooperation with a misting dose. So I went with the easy poke and go- assuring they get the full dose. Well Riley's odd comment got me weird looks from the nurse, and led me to lie to my child...I had to get him to believe they were all out of the Flu Mist (Sorry Riley). With that the brave solider hopped up and took it like a pro... some hesitation, but much more cooperative than his brother.

Next up is Brady boy... completely oblivious to what his big brothers just experienced, as he was preoccupied with sucking on stickers... Dropped the drawers, took the needle, cried a bit, gave a smile and grabbed for his sucker too.

After many praises, hugs, kisses and high fives, the crew was out the door and loaded back in the van. While enjoying their suckers (before dinner even) on the way home is when Dylan and Riley discussed their plan to become Doctors. Dylan stated, "I'm gonna be a Doctor so I don't have to get a shot." "Yeah me too, we just give shots all the day" Riley added, "We just have to find a room, that doesn't already have a doctor." I didn't want to burst their bubble, but had to assure them for future reference, that everyone gets shots, and the bigger you are the less they hurt because you aren't scared any more. "Yeah Mommy you were Brave, I will be too when I'm old". I really do hope they grow up to be smart, helping doctors... as long as I'm not stuck paying for all that schooling.

2 comments:

Lynnsey said...

What a story! I can envision exactly how this played out, Atley and Carson were pretty stressed about their flu shots but were pleasantly surprised when the doctor said they could have the flu mist. Sawyer got the shot along with 2 others for his 15 month check up. You deserve a gold sticker for managing 3 kiddos alone at the doctor office.

Hope you all are doing great,
Lynnsey

Jenn said...

What a day!! I hope that you got a hot bath to yourself when Brad got home! Man I miss you guys!

The triumphs and trials