January 15, 2009

Hockey- Truly a Family Sport

A little background here... Growing up in a small town, where hockey didn't exist and the only youth sport was Pee Wee basketball, really left me clueless to the world of youth athletics. Pee Wee basketball was a simple program that grades 4-6 got to participate in on Saturday mornings over the course of 8-12 weeks. This included practices and games. The only gear you needed to have was a pair of tenny runners and shorts...oh yeah and for the girls a sports bra too ;-) Minimal commitment, but soooo much fun!
So here I am now as a Hockey Mom half way through my first season of Mite 1 Hockey (4-7 yr olds) and its just ridiculous. My kids are 4 yrs old and the commitment on their level and ours is INSANE!! They practice Tue & Thurs, with games e/o wknd. The dads flood the outdoor arenas one night a week (Monday) along with misc ice maintenance throughout the year. And the moms yearly commitment includes, 4 shifts in the concessions stand, and chaperone 2 elementary school dances (fundraiser). Not to mention all the other little fundraisers, and special events or help that is needed.
Let me give you an example of what our last 2 weeks have looked like with the hockey schedule.
Mon Jan. 5th Brad floods rink
Tues Jan 6th Boys have practice
Wed. Jan 7th Katie works concessions
Thur Jan 8th Boys have practice
Sat Jan 10th Boys have 2 games & Brad misses runs the clock
Sun Jan 11th Boys have 1 game & Katie works concessions
Mon Jan 12th Brad floods rink
Tue Jan 13th Boys have practice
Wed Jan 14th Katie takes boys for hockey pics (Brady in tow, cuz Brad is @ work)
Thur Jan 15th Boys have practice
Just a tally here for you... Our family was at the hockey club 10 out of 11 nights. Now that is ridiculous!!

All the bundling up everyone needs to do because its outdoor hockey doesn't help either. Thankfully the kids seem to be enjoying and so I go along with it. I just to keep my complaining out of ear shot and mumble under my breath lugging everything and everyone out the door on hockey days. Hopefully with a little conditioning I'll get used to it... cuz I guess I'm in it for the long haul.

P.S. now you know why I am falling behind with my blog.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

you never cease to amaze me.

Anonymous said...

YOU FORGOT WHERE YOU FREEZE WHILE YOU ARE WATCHING YOUR BOYS HAVE FUN, BESIDE TRYING TO KEEP BRADY WARM AND HAPPY. YOU A WONDER WOMAN NOW. IT IS JUST BEGINNING. GGMA J.

Anonymous said...

You are going to have to wait till after Hockey Season to move into your new home! You have to make each hockey event your social life and the tons of memories from all those social events you'll have! LOTS, AND LOTS OF FUN IT IS!
HUGS,
AUNTIE

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. Joey is a peewee this year and we decided to let the twins play too. In 2 weeks our family alone has to work 15 - 1 1/2 hour games between Fri and sunday for one tournament! I'm really looking forward to it - not!

Angie

The triumphs and trials