February 04, 2009

As if...

...buying a home, and moving isn't enough to handle this week... So why not add a little more spice to the salad and take a new job too.

Just after Christmas I had the opportunity to interview with the SMDC (St.Mary's Duluth Clinic) Behavioral Health program, for a social work position in the adult partial hospital program. I had held this same position during my first year back in Fargo at MeritCare, so I knew what I was in for. However, I wasn't really looking to leave my current job at United Way, because I LOVE it so much. But after chatting with them and seeing the potential growth for the whole department I was interested. And then when they offered me the job, and threw a large salary increase at me, it was hard to say no...REALLY hard to say no. Plus down the road, being at SMDC will get me further, whereas United Way doesn't have much for any promising career advancements. Tough call to make, but I'm moving on and looking forward to working in mental health again.
In this position I will be facilitating a lot of groups, family sessions and of course care coordination. Partial Hospital is an intensive 5 day a week treatment program for people with severe depression, anxiety, and/or dual-diagnoses, with a 2-3 week length of stay. So you really get to know your patients and family, which is nice, but can also be exhausting. At this point SMDC doesn't have a program specific to addiction treatment (my interest), but could in the near future... so I've got my fingers crossed, and when that happens I'll be sure they bring my buddy Jenn in from Fargo to be the lead LAC, so we can once again work and play together everyday!!

1 comment:

Jenn said...

How interesting that would be..you and me in Deluth?!? Look out Target! Ha!

The triumphs and trials