December 22, 2008

Going no where fast

Alright now that winter is in full force up here in the Northland, I've had the opportunity to experience the adventure of driving up Duluth's snowy, icy, steep hills. You see Duluth has these gorgeous brick roads downtown, that slick up with the slightest bit of winter precipitation. And it just so happens I work at the absolute bottom of the hill and live at the very top of the hill. So every day when I leave work I'm challenged with driving straight up the steep hill to get home. Of course the quickest way to and from work is out of the question as it is one of the steepest slopes, so I've had to find an alternative route, and even that leaves me spinning. Just yesterday I had to back down the hill, because the van in front of me was stuck... He couldn't make it any further up the hill. So he had to back down and take a side street to try a different angle. Thankfully I with a a running start I was able (but barely) to make it up the block... as I spun rubber I slowly inched along, but made it...all this for just one city block to catch the "main road". There are many different points throughout the city that the natural rolling hills have you spinning for traction...man is this crazy or what. I find myself panicked with wonder if this will be one of the times where i'll be going no where fast. Brad has a very curvy, steep track to and from work as well and on a daily basis he is witness to ditched and backing up vehicles. You'd like they'd be a little more on top of salting and plowing around here? Guess that's one of the consequences of city governments cut backs!

And now that we're in the midst of last minute shopping, the roads are full of retards flying around trying to get all their stops in on one night. (Why must people wait until the last minute?) But when you are jammed bumper to bumper you're certainly going no where fast. This is a huge disadvantage of living in the shopping district this time of year... the drive that normally takes us 12 minutes from daycare now takes 25-30 minutes. Good thing the kids nap on the way home, but even so my nerves are shot by the time we get home. (Which isn't a good thing when everyone is crabby for supper, and all you want to do is relax for a second.) Maybe Santa will bring me some red and blue lights I can put on the van... maybe that get me home a little faster some days.

No comments:

The triumphs and trials