March 11, 2008

Braxton Hicks Suck!

Yeah you heard me right... Braxton Hicks contractions suck!!! Last night as I laid and flipped channels I noticed a recurrence of "contractions" so decided to pay attention to the timing, and they were coming every 9 minutes for a good couple hours. Because they weren't intensifying with time nor painful along the way, I tried my best to keep from getting too excited. Although I did find it appropriate to alert our action plan, so that if a 3am phone call was necessary they'd be sure to answer the call and get on over to look after the boys. As anxious as I was, I really stayed focused and didn't call all the troops. I knew the chances of this going no where were high, and I didn't want to rile everyone and then be disappointed myself. As you can see with no news of a baby today, its a good thing I didn't activate the troops because I was right... they turned out to be just a nuisance.

I guess because I was so over expanded with Dylan and Riley I never really noticed all the early uterine activity. Even when I was having real labor contractions 5-6 minutes apart it wasn't anything to complain about. At the time I guess I and my uterus were so used to the constant tight uncomfortable feeling that I never really knew they were happening, unless I was plugged into the fetal monitor during my twice a week non-stress tests and the monitor was telling me.

Anyway- I had trouble sleeping last night with all the activity and thoughts running through my head, so I was just wiped today. But headed off to work anyway...Even this morning I was having regular contractions, so I was glad to have a Doctor appointment at 10:15 to get some more insight on what this all could mean. So the findings... Well I'm now 2 cm dilated, and my cervix is 80% softened. She also commented that his head is right there pushing on my cervix which could cause some cervical action over the next few days (more dilation, continued contractions, labor, etc). So she finished off the exam with the good ol "Roto-Rooter" technique(striped my membranes)- Yes OUCH! But this moment of discomfort is good as it can help moves things forward~ naturally. I was nice and crampy leaving her office, but since then the contractions have lessened? So I don't know what the heck is going on???!!! He's certianly got me confused!

As I left her office somewhat disappointed, I headed home for a much needed nap before heading back to work for a couple more hours. Trying to save that PTO for my leave. And as things are still up in the air with this kid- I've still got Monday March 17th to fall back on, which makes it a little easier to go on. If he only knew how anxious I, his daddy and big brothers are to see him... would he come a little sooner?

2 comments:

THE HIGH LIFE FAMILY said...

Sorry that your having such a painfull day. I so remember those days. Word of advice or however you want to take it go HAVE SEX!! Make that baby come out and you'll feel so much better...LOL Sorry had to be a little bit sarcastic....Good luck and can't wait to see him. Take care and rest up..

Sweet Mary Sunshine said...

I saw the birth announcement in the paper this morning! He made it on his own - hooray! Congratulations! Can't wait to see the little darling!

The triumphs and trials