March 05, 2008

People are strange

So the past week or so I've received many strange looks and/or comments from passersby and co-workers. It happens anywhere and everywhere. The elevator is a great place for strangers to comment on the size of my belly... "OH you must be ready to go any day now" or "Do you know what you are having?" Its those comments that then engage the entire elevator in conversation of my pregnancy as they size me up. And then as I exit that scene there's my co-workers that catch me as I step off the elevator "you're still here". I'd like to come up with a creative wise ass comeback to that really annoying statement, but I realize they are all on my side and cheering for this baby to come on out as much as I am, so instead I politely reply with the countdown number and go about my business.

I've even had young children stare at my belly... very innocent and curious, so I tell them there's a baby kicking me in there. As their eyes widen to amazement, they turn to their parent with question in search of an explanation. So with a smirk on my face I listen to how these parents uncomfortably answer the "Why" questions coming from their toddler and the interesting explanation they give for this phenomenon. One little girl had asked her mommy why she didn't have a baby in her tummy :-)

In addition I think I'm developing some paranoia as well... it feels like people are watching me. When I'm in the cafeteria I feel like everyone is eyeing me up. Either watching what I'm putting on my plate, criticizing my choice of fries over the broccoli, or they give a little snicker at the pregnant women checking out the dessert counter. But wait, it doesn't end there... Even as I walk to my seat eyes are following me?! Is it to see how I'll fit in a booth and manage to eat my soup without slobbing down my shirt? To prevent that humiliation I'm tempted to rest my bowl on the baby bump like I do at home, but that just wouldn't be very lady like and probably get more of a reaction, so I very carefully hold my breath and lean in as far as I physically can. So far no big cafeteria disasters, and thanks to Days of Our Lives I can block out the "starers" and keep entertained during lunch.

No comments:

The triumphs and trials