April 08, 2008

What does a stay at home mom do all day?...

Are you one of those working moms that ponders the question... What do stay at home mom's do all day? The must have the life, of dining with friends, playdates in the park and stolling the mall. Well I once was, and although maternity leave is a questionable classifcation for being a stay at home mom, its only taken me 3 short weeks to come up with some conclusions that answer my curiousity, and bust my myth of the luxery that comes to being home from work with your kids.
In the past few days I've ran into some interesting scenerios that just make me shake my head and giggle. It never fails that Dylan and Riley need my attention the most, when I'm busy feeding Brady. So what does a good mom do?... She multi-tasks! I like to pride myself in my multi-tasking abilities and wish more people in this world (like my hubby) had this trait, life could be so much simpilar. It wasn't just once, but twice yesterday, I found myslef being called to the bathroom for assistance. Yup~ there I am wiping a poopy butt with a baby latched on~ that was twice in one day. And then there's the umpteen phone calls all day long. If we weren't trying to sell our house, I'd ignore them like I usually do, but I don't want to miss a potential buyer's call. So I answer the phone and try to have a conversation while again nursing a noisy baby (sounds like a squeeling pig) and refreeing the fights between the big boys. My friend Angie had called yesterday and was witness to this chaos in the background. Thankfully she has 4 boys (twins incl) and understands that phone calls aren't for socializing during the daylight hours and ended the call. Sometimes the dirty look just won't stop a brawl. But long before all this afternoon chaos, I had the challenge of getting Dylan and Riley out the door in time for breakfast at daycare at 8:30, while trying to hold Brady over for a feeding until after dropping them off. We then spent the rest of the morning shopping... for Brad, who needed "nice" work clothes for his meetings this week, and then squeezed in a record 15 minute grocery store trip before getting the boys at 12:30. When you've got to stop every 2-3 hrs to feed a baby, the day flies by and really I've got nothing tangible to show for it. Well OK.. if I can count, that we were all fed, dressed, clean and smiling by the end of the day as a successful day, then I can probably pull off this stay at home mom thing a little while longer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's why grandma's have all this hobbies, no kids at home. Brady is sure growing fast, must be the good food. I'm enjoying your blog.G.Gma

THE HIGH LIFE FAMILY said...

Speaking from experience, it's more than just staying at home. It seems like the list never ends. Most of the days I would spend volunteering or running errands and get caught up on the house. I even went to meetings just to name a few. But then again, I don't know if I would still be a stay at home mom if we weren't overseas in a different country. Who knows but I do know that no day is the same and it gives you time to enjoy peace and quiet until the kids come home from school. It seems that no matter how you plan out your day nothing will be the same. Even though we have a nanny I am still envolved with Jordan in school and I go on outings with the nanny to special events. I also am envolved with the spouses group too but like I said maybe it would be diffent if we weren't in the military. Who knows!
And by the way, CONGRATULATIONS!! That's the area we would like to move to after we are done with the military. It's a happy medium for us, it's far enough away from both sides of the family but if I had it my way we would be further away in another state. I can't believe how fast you guys are moving. Keep me posted!!

Anonymous said...

I am so jelous of you moving to Duluth, not like I would want that stress in my life right now anyway. I will truly miss working with you and your friendship. Not like I see you much at work anyway. My sister lived in Duluth for awhile and things you must check out is, Duluth Malt shop, Leaf Erickson park (in the summer), pick wick resturant and Gooseberry Falls park north of two harbors. Watch out when those roads are slippery in Duluth it sucks my sis went slidding down a hill horizontally one day.

Steven and I talk about going to Duluth every summer we will have to look you up once we finally make it there.

I don't have the heart to tell Jacob and Julia that their "cousins" are moving.

Remember responses from Cyndy take 7-10 business days, it is like the dang government.

Kelly said...

Omigosh -- I just read your blog! You're moving! I've only been to Duluth once before, but remember it being really pretty. Guess we'll be heading that way again in the future (many times, hopefully!).

I just wanted to wish you all the best with everything -- with the sale of your house, the packing, adjusting to a new city, new jobs, etc, etc. I'll be praying for you guys!

The triumphs and trials