June 19, 2008

I love it here... and I love not working!!

At several points throughout the day today I caught myself all wrapped up in the beauty of Duluth (its not the first time). This morning the I was up long before the big boys, so made them some Blueberry muffins (only to find that they don't really care for blueberries in their muffins?) and then packed lunches to drop off for daddy, and some for us to enjoy at the park later. Well unfortunately it rained a bit this morning so lunch plans changed, and we ended up eating with Brad at his office. But we were able to stop at the park on the way home. The Bayfront park is one that we favor... it has an awesome play structure for kids... its a huge wooden maze of passages that link together 4 mini castles...slides, monkey bars, balance beams you name it! The boys love it and so do I, because they cleverly built seating areas throughout for parents, so they can keep an eye on the kids in all directions. From where I was sitting I could see the lift bridge raise for a ship coming into harbor, then behind me was the picturesque view of homes tucked into the lush hillside and the tall historic buildings of downtown. The best of 2 worlds... land and water in just a head turn. After living in the flatlands of Fargo for 10 years, its like my eyes are on sensory overload. The dark blah grey tones of buildings and asphalt have been replaced with bright, fresh living landscapes.

After looking at homes all over town, we've driven through a bunch of different neighborhoods. Each one is uniquely different, but so cozy. Each little neighborhood is nestled its own mini forest, so its alittle weird driving around, because you almost feel like you leave the city and stumble upon little communities in the country. But as you can imagine, with that is peacefulness... nature out your back door. Literally, we've had deer in our yard! And we live 3 blocks from Target and the mall. It was on my drive home this afternoon, that I felt lucky to live here... every time I go up or down the hill I get a rejuvenating feeling with the view... I just can't stop looking and ahhing...I hope this never ends.

Tomorrow we plan to hit the beach out at park point. Yes, the water is chilly, but its supposed to be 80 and its still fun to play in the sand and picnic at the beach, even if you don't swim. Our neighbors were there yesterday, and I guess its already busy so we aren't total fools. What can you expect when your a Minnesotan...we roll our windows down as soon as its above zero.

Also its the Huge Grandma's Marathon this weekend (12th largest in the US) so I'm sure we'll go check out some of the festivities. Maybe I can gain some motivation or ambition to get back into shape while I'm there. Who knows, I might start training to run it next year ;-) Or maybe not. Brad got some free tickets for the bleachers... guess we can sit and watch them cross the finish line?... Doesn't that sound exciting... I'll be in the party tent thank you... yeah, that's right! I'll have my one drink, get red blotches on my neck and then head home for a nap.
Have a great weekend!

No comments:

The triumphs and trials