June 05, 2008

Interview

Today was the big day... My United Way interview. If you've been following my life (our life) over the last few weeks you've seen that most things really haven't been as simple as they seem. And so why start today right?
Since the boys and I are staying at my parents this week and next, I was set up to get a call from United Way this morning at 11:30am. So I had my mom come home for a long lunch to look after the boys while I was on my interview call. 11:40, 11:45, 11:50 and no call. I began to wonder if I wasn't supposed to be the one calling in?! So called to see what the scoop was, and to my surprise the interview was cancelled??? One of the directors leading the interview was out ill (unexpectedly) today and the ball got dropped... as no one had called eariler to cancel. Ugh!! OK she'll call tomorrow and set up another day/time.
Well just an hour later as I'm chasing the big boys off to nap, and Brady cries to eat the phone rings so I answer it. Its the President of United Way, and she' like to interview me. Thankfully she caught on that it wasn't a good time to talk and asked that I call her back when I had a moment. So I got everyone off to lala land and made the important call. It went pretty well... first time ever doing a phone interview... tough stuff. Its hard to sell yourself, or talk yourself up over the phone, it just felt weird. She asked some really tough questions, and really focused on the administrative side to this position... dealing with budgets, databases and supervising staff. I feel confident in my performance, but couldn't get a sense of her interest in me or not? I should find out next week if I make the call back list...they want to sit down with the top 2 candidates for more interviewing. Unfortunately she was in the process of restructing the salary and wasn't able to comment on the hiring range, so I don't even know if all this worry is even gonna be worth it? All I can do now is sit and wait...

No comments:

The triumphs and trials