June 21, 2008

Lets go to the Beach




So we hit the beach yesterday... the Mercury hit 84 (29 C) and it was hotter on the beach then up at our house. The sand was soooo hot you had to keep your shoes on or stand on your towel and if you dared, you would sprint to the water to cool them off. The boys were turned off by sand in their sandals and at first whiny about the temp of the sand, but a minute later they had forgotten their concerns and were hitting the beach. It was pretty busy. However, not many in the lake. But you certainly did need to dip a bit to cool off here and there.
Of course there was frustrating moments during our trip to the beach. After all I was the only adult with a 3mo old, and 2 pre-schoolers. I had just set Brady and seat down to unload they other 50 things over my shoulder, when Riley tossed up a handful of sand for the wind to blow right on Brady's lap. So now I've got a sandy baby, and a car seat full of sand. Once we got everything all laid out, they wanted lunch. A little sand to go with our sandwiches and pretzels on the side.
Brady was mostly cooperative with our beach outing... I timed it so he'd have a full belly and in need of long nap. He woke a couple of times, and needed some snuggles, and then a little filler to conk out for the rest of the trip. But it was when Brady was screaming that Dylan and Riley were wanting me to open their candy... as i'm struggling to discretely get situated to nurse my screaming child on the beach, they were saying my name over and over and over again... Just trying to get my attention, I know, but I was loosing my cool. All I needed was a gust of wind to take the blanket flying off my bare white chest and we'd really have a scene. Next time I need a big umbrella to give us (me) some more privacy and shade. Brady was fine in his car seat with the canopy and a light blanket draped to my chair, allowing a cool breeze from the lake. And Dylan and Riley splashed around to keep cool. But I roasted in the open hot sun... I was too chicken to submerge in the freezing lake, plus didn't want to be wet and sandy when Brady needed to be snuggled. I felt a bit albino out there, next to some of those real beachers that already have the California tan. Fake baking must be a pre-requisite to the beach lifestyle.
But all in all we had a great time, and look forward to going back again, with Daddy. He was working, so to make him a bit jealous I sent him a few pix from the beach just to rub it in ;-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The boys are super adorable! I can't believe how big Brady is already. He is super cute!! It sounds like you are enjoying Duluth, we miss you here in Fargo though. Have a great summer.

Lynnsey

Anonymous said...

I love love love all the new pics...due to being out of town it had been a while since I got to check ou the site! Glad you are doing well...the boys look great and your hair is cute! Call me soon,
Love ya!
Jenn

The triumphs and trials