May 23, 2008

Good News...

As I thought I was offered the job at St. Mary's Hospital as the emergency room social worker, but only learned of this by a message left on my phone. So I wasn't able to discuss the option of "better" hours and pay. Although I'm certain I'll turn down the offer simply because of the crummy hours, at least I should give it a try to see if they can offer me something else before completely ruling it out? I'll give them a call on Tuesday and see where it goes from there.
Anyway- thats not my good news. On Friday afternoon, United Way called me for an interview :-) I was totally excited, until they asked to do the interview June 5th (their pres is out next week)... but that's the week we have to be back in Fargo to close on the house and then the boys and I were going to be staying at my parents for the next 2 weeks. I openly shared we've got ends to tie up in Fargo and even though its not the ideal scenario the lady offered to do a phone interview instead. She'll call my Tuesday to confirm this. In the meantime I almost want to pop into their office or send them a picture to show them my face, so they can put a cute face with the voice when we do the interview. Definitely not because my looks would win them over, but this position entails some public speaking, so appearance makes a difference when hiring... I'd hate for them to think I'm an old haggard, unkempt looking lady. I'd rather they have the visual of a fresh, enthusiastic, and sophisticated woman :-) Blah Blah Blah

Last week I made some calls in search of daycare and then on Friday we went to check out a home daycare. Pulling up it looked great, and the lady herself was super sweet... but the house stunk of piss (2 little dogs and 1 cat), the kids were filthy dirty, and cartoons were on the whole time. I couldn't tell if they were dirty because of poor parenting or inattentive childcare. Even if it were the first, to clued me into her lack of cleanliness. Another sign of this was the fact that she had a 9 month old scooting around a cruddy floor, sucking on a very visibly dirty stuffed animal. (Bleh) The kids didn't really have their own area to play, just toys along the wall in the living room that housed that huge cartoon playing TV. Need I say more... this was a big fat NO! Unfortunately I'm too nice to just turn around and leave, so we had to stay along enough to seem interested and not rude. Thankfully I've got her number and she doesn't have mine. This certainly confirms my plan to stick with daycare centers for now.

No comments:

The triumphs and trials