May 05, 2008

Single Parenting

With no real training or transition into his position, Brad has been thrown to the dogs~ fighting them off day and night. I swear his BlackJack rings non-stop as every vendor, news crew and hockey enthusiast has been knocking on his door, wanting a piece of the pie or at least the down low on the Sports Center. Since opening its doors to the public this past Friday the Sports Center is all you hear about around town. The Duluth Heritage Sports Center has been featured in the local newspaper, on multiple news stations (Brad did a live interview), mentioned in other random publications (real estate magazine noted it as a boost to property values in the neighborhood) and casual conversations around town (I heard people talking about it at the grocery store)… And to think Brad is a part of this is pretty neat. Its such a huge step for his career, a huge adjustment for him as well. He was never in the public eye like this, and smoozing with the high rollers he’s met over the past few weeks is out of control. Every day he comes home with a crazy story about the things that have happened or the people he had met that day…I have to admit it makes me a bit jealous as most days I don’t see the outside of our home. Lucky shmuck, he is in the hot seat that I enjoy and envy. Going from career mom to a stay at home mom makes it hard to find the sense of gratification or accomplishment of a job well done. Don’t get me wrong I love spending this time with the boys, and I’m fortunate to have this opportunity, but at the same time I miss the rush of high stress situations and mingling with accomplished persons.
Since I’m on a role with the poor me I better add that its come back to bite me… Not long ago I had been bragging about how content and low maintenance Brady had been during the packing process… well he changed things up for the unpacking process. Since arriving in Duluth he’s been much “different”. I’m thinking its a combination of things… 1- A growth spurt that brings him to eat far too often for my liking. 2- Just wanting more Mommy time. 3- Missing Nana’s soothing songs and rhythmic wandering. 4- The nauseating smell of cardboard. 5- and the sense that something’s up and we aren’t in Fargo anymore. As a result of this we’ve had nighttime feedings every 2 hrs, for the past week, leaving me exhausted. Thankfully during my years of parenting I’ve learned that its not worth fretting over, as this too shall pass.
As I mentioned, because of the high demand at work last week and weekend, Brad hasn’t been home much leaving me with the task of putting our household together while looking after 3 kids. Fortunately I have only experienced a temporary phase of single parenting, as I am whipped at this point. I hate the feeling of chaos, and the disorganized mess around here! As the good wife that I am I have pushed my needs aside to provide a loving and inviting environment for my breadwinner honey. I keep the house as tidy as possible and prepare a delicious supper, ready for him when he gets home. All in hopes of helping him relax a little and enjoy the kids for the few hours he’s got at home that day. This really takes a lot of strength though… Behind all this, what I really what I want to do is shout out commands to “move this, hang that, help find this, or go get that” accompanied by a lecture that he needs to start pulling his weight around the house. But thankfully I’ve kept it together, with the hopes that things will slow down for him soon, and we can have a more normal life around here

No comments:

The triumphs and trials