February 27, 2008

1's the magic number

My appointment went really well today. I first step onto the scale to find that I only gained 1 pound over the last 2 weeks :-) After the terrible junk I've been stuffing in my face these past 2 weeks I was for certain that I had gained 5+. Good thing my body is helping me out with those extra calories, God knows how hard it is to lose that baby weight afterward.
Brad came along to my appointment just for the fun of it, since there hasn't been anything exciting and we only 1 ultrasound way back at 20 weeks there's really been no reason to come along. But with this being the first time my doctor was going to "check" me time why not come along? So after I put on a little strip show for my hubby in the exam room, I hop up on the exam table and wait for the doctor to come in. The baby's heart rate was in the 140's today (perfect). She proceed to prep me as Brad squirms in his chair and tries to avoid looking down there, as she does her thing. What a nerd... like hello what is he embarrassed about? Did you forget what happened to get us here? Anyway- I'm dilated to 1 cm!! Okay so its only 1 cm... and I can sit here for many days or weeks. But she was able to feel his little head, which is also good news, as he's in the right position to do this. I found that even though I'm starting to feel that pelvic pressure, he's just barely moving down there (-3). So I haven't officially "dropped" but we're working toward that direction. After all that excitement she hands me the slip for my next appointment in 1 week. Yup- here we go... The weekly appointments. Its game time baby. I go in next Tuesday and we'll see what my cervix did in a weeks time.

Before leaving her office we also talked about what happens if he needs a little encouragement to come into the world (induction). And she had said around 39 weeks she'd probably talk induction. Since the best case scenario is to have your own OB/GYN deliver she'd schedule me for induction on the nearest of her on-call days to my due date which would be March 17th. Which means if little man doesn't join us before then, I could have a St. Patricks day baby :-)

Lots of exciting feelings today, and thankfully I'm not as uncomfortable as I was yesterday.

1 comment:

Sweet Mary Sunshine said...

Yay for 1! You're on your way. We share the same OB doc, and she handled my induction 1 week ago beautifully. Don't worry about a thing!

The triumphs and trials