February 29, 2008

Love a parent

I've received a request (from Stodge) for more pictures on my blog, so although I don't have any to share today I promise I will after the weekend. So stay tuned...
The Onofreychuk's are coming this weekend... and my sister inlaw is having a little birthday swimming party for Sydnee's 6th birthday at the Holiday Inn on Saturday, so I'll take some fun pictures of the boys then. They are super excited and have been talking about it all week. And I have to admit I to am somewhat looking forward to a swim myself. Not so much in the whole putting on the swimsuit part, but to have that moment of relief by being so buoyant. At the end of January we spent a fun family weekend (just the 4 of us) in Minneapolis and so I swam a bunch that weekend, and boy was it nice to take off that pressure and strain by floating around. But don't for one second think that I'll be posting any pictures of this albino water buffalo...

Other than some hanging out at the pool, our weekend will be pretty low key. Brad and I might actually get to take advantage of free babysitters, and have a date night on Saturday :-) Grandparents really know how to save the day...not only do they help look after the kids while they visit, but they still take care of their own kids. Even if its in the smallest ways, like noticing the heaping laundry basket and throwing in a load for you, or preparing a meal for you in your own home the instinct to care for their own is still there. (I'm so hoping for Greek Salad this weekend :-) As great as it is to have the extra help around the house, I have learned my lesson on a few occasions... Like make sure your own laundry is washed, so your un-mentionables aren't being slung around by your mother inlaw, and try to have some food in your fridge, so your mother doesn't think you starve her grandchildren.

We are lucky and thankful that even though we live hours from both our parents, they still show us they care by making the trip to come see us (or the kids, however they prefer to look at it). And as much as we think we can do it on our own, we still need our parents every once in awhile. Sure you have to clean before they come and then clean up after them when they leave, but its the phone calls with questions, complaints, and cries that keep you still needing your parents. "Dad who sings that song... "something, something.. I fooled around and fell in love?" or "Mom, I just can't handle this any more!" Thankfully they are always just a phone call away.

Unfortunately it wasn't until becoming an adult that I've really been able to credit them with knowing a thing or two, (beyond making a meal or help fixing a leaky toilet). So I wonder are my kids going to appreciate me and all the things I do for them (big and small)? And why did it take so long to realize this... man I could have been so much more tolerable as a teenager if I had only known this back then! Hmmm... another reason to be blessed with 3 boys and no girls :-) Parents deserve more credit than they get... So Mom's and Dad's, here's a much deserved THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO~ Love your kids!

No comments:

The triumphs and trials