February 07, 2008

Loving Heart

Did you know February Heart month? Sure I was aware, but this year it has really hit home, as my grandfather underwent Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery yesterday. Thankfully my uncle was visiting the snowbird in Arizona/Las Vegas when he had his near death episode this past Sunday. Had my uncle not been their on vacation, my unconcisous grandfather would not have been able to call for the help that saved his life. After 6 hrs of surgery yesterday (they re-routed 6 arteries!) there is a silent sigh of relief today but a road tough road to recovery. My grandfather had first been clued into possibly having heart condition 12 years ago, but the symptoms and concerns where minimal at the time. So time went on... However, after those many years the silent killer caught up with him, and almost took his life.

On Monday morning my mom called and said she was coming to Fargo to catch a flight out to Las Vegas later that evening to be with my grandfather as he faced the uncertainties of his condition. Of course Dylan and Riley were elated to see grandma on the spur of the moment, but couldn't understand why she was only visiting for a couple hours, and not staying over night. So I explained to them that she was flying out to Las Vegas to take care of her daddy who is in the hospital because he needs his heart fixed. The wheels were turning, and questions flying, and I thought they got the gist of it, but all they could talk about after she left was that grandma would be coming back soon because she left her car here. So when my mom called Tuesday night with an update, Riley got on the phone with her and was asking if her daddy's heart was fixed? "When your daddy's heart is fixed and all better Grandma, you come back to our house on the airplane. His heart is broke so they help fix it at the hospital, right. Then you can come see me to get your van and read us silly stories too." WOW! That's coming from my 3 yr old... What a sweetie.

So here's my Public Service Announcement... Treat your Heart well and then listen to your heart when it speaks.

1 comment:

THE HIGH LIFE FAMILY said...

I hope your grandpa is feeling better. My husband came home on Wednesday and what a relief. I don't have to worry anymore! I can't believe how fast your kids are growing. Keep posting pictures and when things start getting back to normal I'll start my blog up again. I haven't really had a chance to sit down and blog every night but it's a start. Take care!

The triumphs and trials